Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Looney Tunes" (DC) # 53, June 1999: "The Postman Always Brings Mice"

Here's one of my favorite Looney Tunes comic stories of all time. It boasts some of the best looking drawings of Sylvester and Tweety you'll ever see, by the inimitable David Alvarez. The story by Sean Carolan and Jennifer Moore is well-timed, cleverly plotted and loaded with funny slapstick. What a boffo idea: a mouse of the month club! I understand the Western stories of old are the stuff most of you readers want to see most, but DC stories like this one are the reason I feel the need to include them as well.











2 comments:

  1. Don’t get me wrong, I like the DC stuff – especially when it was by David Alvarez, and have the first 10 years’ worth of it – but the Western material will always be my favorite because it was from a unique publisher, by a unique collection of talents, and published over a unique period of comic book history. (To paraphrase Freakaziod!: Do you think I’ve said “unique” enough?)

    But, this IS an outstanding example of what DC did best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I understand the Western stories of old are the stuff most of you readers want to see most, but DC stories like this one are the reason I feel the need to include them as well."

    I dunno...with me, I love seeing both. But, if I had to pick, it would be DC. DC has Dave, Neal Stearnecky, and had the late Earl Kress with some other great writers and pencillers. DC's seem more in tune with each character and CAN use violence. The older stuff had to tone it down (little to no dynamite, anvils). Not to say a superb story can't be written without the use of these devices. Like I said, they are almost equally matched.

    ReplyDelete